Canada Visa for Indian Students
Higher studies in Canada at an institution of post-secondary education statutorily requires you to obtain a Canadian study… The post Canada Visa for Indian Students appeared first on Leverage Edu.
Higher studies in Canada at an institution of post-secondary education statutorily requires you to obtain a Canadian study permit which allows you to reside in the country during the full course of the program and further for an extended fixed duration if required. The Canadian government has made it easier to obtain a Canadian student visa for Indian students along with students of some selective countries by formulating various mechanisms to ensure quick and faster processing of applications. This blog aims to elaborate on what a study permit is as well as the essential details pertaining to the application process of Canada visa for Indians, eligibility criteria and essential documents required.
Also Read: Bachelors in Canada
Canada Visa for Indians-Latest News
Listed below are the important pointers for Canada visa news for Indian students-
- Student Direct Stream has been streamlined in India for students. Students applying through the SDS route can expect their student permit from Canada within 7 to 8 days.
- Direct flights between India and Canada were recently approved by the Canadian government. Reducing the cost and time spent on travel.
- Fully vaccinated students are exempted from the three-night stay at a government-approved hotel. Students have to self-isolate themselves for 10 days after arriving in Canada.
- Students have to submit a negative RT-PCR test before boarding the flight to Canada and can be subjected to random testing after arriving in the country.
Canada Visa for Indians: What is a Study Permit?
The Citizen and Immigration (CIC) issued a study permit to all the interested students who have received an offer from an accredited institution in Canada. Further, for those aspiring to study in Canada, this permit alone is not enough to let you travel and enter Canada and you may be required to possess either a visitor visa or an electronic travel authorization (eTA) as well. Reasonable and timely performance in your course program is also vital in order to hold a study permit. Though there are two methods of application, namely, the regular study permit application and the student direct stream, a Canada visa for Indians can be obtained in an expedited manner only through the second procedure which we have explained in detail below.
Also Read: PG Diploma vs Masters in Canada
Student Direct Stream
In order to facilitate faster visa approval for applications from select countries (mentioned in the following paragraph), the Government of Canada started the Student Direct Stream. Through this method, duly filled and completed applications are typically processed within 20 calendar days from the date of application. However, the duration of this process of obtaining a Canada visa for Indians varies on biometrics as well as on whether the applicant fulfils all the specified eligibility requirements or not.
Following are the eligible countries specified for Student Direct Stream Method:
- The Philippines
Regular Study Permit Application
The regular study permit application for getting Canada visa for Indian students is more of a traditional method of application. The eligibility requirements, documents and almost every other aspect is similar to the Student Direct Stream method except it may take longer.
Eligibility Criteria for Student Direct Stream
In order to apply for a student permit under the process of Student Direct Stream, you need to fulfil some prerequisites which are given in the table below:
- A letter of acceptance from a designated learning institution of post-secondary learning;
- Transcripts of recent secondary or post-secondary qualification;
- Language Test Scores
- IELTS 6.0 or higher in each section (reading, listening, writing and speaking), or
- Test d’évaluation de français (TEF) score of 7.0 or higher in each section (reading,
- listening, writing and speaking) which is equal to the Canadian Language
- Benchmark (CLB).
- Proof of payment of first-year tuition fees.
- At the time of application of obtaining Canada visa for Indians, the candidate must be
living outside Canada.
- Medical exam before applying (if needed).
- Police certificate before applying (if needed).
- Guaranteed Investment Certificate (GIC) of CAN $10,000.
- ‘Ministry of Immigration, Diversity and Inclusion’-issued ‘Certificate of Acceptance of
Quebec (CAQ)’ (if you are planning to study in Quebec).
Note: If you are a citizen of the above-mentioned countries but do not currently live there, you have to go through the regular study permit application process.
Canada Visa for Indians: Application Process
A step-by-step guide for applying and obtaining a Canada student visa for Indians has been bulleted below.
1. Apply for your study permit through the Student Direct Stream: Submit your application online and make sure that you fulfil the eligibility criteria, the required documents are enclosed with the application and the requisite fees has been paid.
2. Biometrics (Fingerprints and Photo): The visa authority conducts biometrics, i.e, takes fingerprints and photos of the candidate and then only the application proceeds further. This needs to be completed as soon as you get the letter from the visa authority and at a maximum of 30 days from the date of notification. Then, you have to pay the biometrics fee. In case you are already in Canada at the time of application you need to get back to your home country to successfully process your visa process.
3. Application Processing
Under this step of making an application for Canada visa for Indian students, the candidates have to wait at least 20 days or more as the authorities process their applications.
After carefully reviewing your application, you will be informed about the decision of the authorities. If your visa application has been accepted, you will be issued a letter of introduction (this is not a study permit), an eTA or a visitor visa, as required.
5. Travel to Canada
After your application is approved, you can leave for Canada with your travel documents. Your documents will be checked and verified after which your study permit will be printed at the port of entry by the officer and you will be allowed to enter the territory of Canada.
Must Read: Study in Canada without IELTS
Also Read: Costs of studying in Canada
Biometrics for Canada Visa in India
Visa Application Centres in India that offer Canada student visas are now offering limited biometrics appointments keeping in mind norms introduced related to covid-19. Students who are entering the country to pursue education from DLIs and the ones who are returning to Canada permanently are given priority.
As of now, no applications other than study permit or permanent residency as a spouse or partner or dependent child under the family class are accepted by Visa Application Centres for biometrics. Biometrics for Canada visa in India opening date is 28th June 2021.
Post Graduation Work Permit and Stay Back Period
- You need to pursue a course for a minimum duration of 8 months to be eligible to stay back in Canada
- Courses with a duration of less than 8 months do not allow a student to stay back and apply for Post Graduation Work Permit
- If you pursue a course which is of duration less than 2 years, he/she is eligible for a post-graduation work permit of equivalent duration as the course
- For Example: 8 months course = 8 months Post Graduation Work Permit; 2 years course (master or diploma)= 3 years Post Graduation Work Permit
Work Authorization for Students in Canada
- Students must be over 18 years of age
- International Students can work on-campus or off-campus for up to 20 hours during university semesters and full-time during breaks such as the winter or summer holidays, without the need for a work permit
- Foreign students who are studying in a program that requires work experience, can gain it through a co-op or internship program
Planning to study in Canada for the winter intake? Then connect with our Leverage Edu expert and get assistance throughout the procedure of choosing the right course and university as well as making an impressive application that can get you successfully shortlisted.