Career in Textile Engineering
Clothing is one of the primary needs of humans just after food and shelter. In modern time, textiles… The post Career in Textile Engineering appeared first on Leverage Edu.
Clothing is one of the primary needs of humans just after food and shelter. In modern time, textiles are not restricted to necessity but a statement of fashion. With the requirement of variation in design, a career in Textile Engineering and designing is increasing tremendously. Experts and professionals in the textile industry work with the aim to manufacture the best quality and durable textiles which satisfy human desires and needs. Are you fascinated by the variations in clothing, feel of the fabrics and their attractive colour patterns? It’s time to bring out your desire by gaining some knowledge about Textile Engineering!
About Textile Engineering
We usually connect textile with designing and tend to forget that there is a bigger research field of technology associated with textiles and manufacturing. It is all about the science of playing with garments, fabrics and colours. In technical terms, it incorporates principles, laws and scientific techniques utilized for the development and manufacturing of fibres, fabrics, apparels and textiles. Other than this, a course in this field deals with the analysis of polymers working to produce textile fibre. Nowadays, computers play a significant role in the textile industry with computer-aided design and manufacture (process control) of textile products.
Students who wish to pursue textile engineering must meet the basic eligibility criteria –
- Students must have completed 10+2 from a recognized board, from the Science stream.
- For those who wish to pursue a PG course, they must hold an undergraduate degree in textile engineering or related subject.
- Students must also clear the admission tests as specified by different universities.
Role of Textile Engineers
- Textile Engineers work with different natural and man-made textiles, fur, leather, plastics and metals.
- They are responsible for developing textiles according to the latest trends for various purposes like clothing, furnishings, etc.
- These engineers give technical and innovative advice on designing, production, marketing and purchasing textiles, fibers, fabrics and other textile materials.
- Production and processing of textiles include the application of engineering principles and theories.
- Textile engineers produce samples, amend designs, evaluate and select fabrics from suppliers to create final products as per set specifications.
- It is the duty of the textile engineers to ensure that the final product meets set specifications in terms of durability and colour fastness.
Why Pursue a Career in Textile Engineering?
The textile industry is ever-increasing and aspirants looking for career opportunities in this field can surely make a mark by pursuing a course in Textile Engineering. Students can make a promising career in this field because of the continuous demand and supply of textiles all across the world. This has resulted in a growth tremendous growth of job opportunities in the world of textiles. Textile domain requires individuals with research intellect, creativity and a passion to design and develop innovative and durable fabrics. Experts in the field use their scientific knowledge and skills and talent to reach new heights of success.
List of Subjects Covered
Take a look at the list of major subjects or topics covered in the curriculum of Textile Engineering courses:
- Engineering Mathematics
- Communication Skills
- Management Skills
- Yarn Manufacturing
- Modern Yarn Production
- Fiber Science
- Elements of Textile Processes
- Textile Processing
- Textile Manufacturing Processes
- Textile Fibers
- Technical Textiles
- Quality Control and Textile Costing
- Fabric Structure
- CAD (Computer-Aided Design)
- Physical Testing
- Modern Weaving Technology
- Modern Spinning Technology
- Knitting and Garment Technology
- Production Planning and Maintenance
Have a look at the Fashion Designing Subjects!
Textile industry pays close attention to the principles of Engineering, Chemistry, Textile Processes and equipment for Textile Production and Manufacturing. Some of the major degrees for a career in Textile Engineering include BSc, BE/BTech, MSc/MS, MTech, Masters in Textile and Clothing Engineering and PhD in Textile Techniques and Material Engineering. You can also opt for Diploma and PG Diploma in Textile Engineering.
Note: The Bachelor’s degree is generally for 3-4 years while Master’s degree lasts from 1-2 years and PhD generally takes 3-5 years to complete.
Top Textile Engineering Universities of the World
Many universities and colleges across the world offer higher degree and diploma courses in Textile Engineering and Manufacturing with the aim to promote the textile sector which plays a crucial role in the growth of the economy. Also, students learn about the interaction of the material with a machine, energy conservation, natural and man-made materials, waste control and safety, pollution and health. Below is a list of renowned universities offering exciting courses:
- North Carolina State University
- The University of Bolton
- University of Manchester
- University of Nebraska-Lincoln
- Saxion University of Applied Sciences
- University of Leeds
- RWTH Aachen University
- De Montfort University
- Technical University of Liberec
- Heriot-Watt University
- Loughborough University
- Dresden University of Technology
In recent years, various developments are done in the textile education to encourage students to establish a successful career in the field to improve the world of fashion design.
Top Textile Engineering Colleges in India
For students who wish to pursue Textile Engineering from India, we have listed the top few colleges offering this course below –
- IIT: Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi
- College of Textile Technology, West Bengal
- University of Mumbai, Maharashtra
- Amity University, Uttar Pradesh
- The Art Institutes
- Department of Textile, IIT, Delhi
- SSM Institute of Textile Technology and Polytechnic College, Tamil Nadu
- Institute of Information Technology and Management, New Delhi
- LD College of Engineering, Gujarat
Job Prospects[optin-monster-shortcode id=”xf2mlnjiouddzrshykdb”]
Students with the knowledge and expertise in combining the principles of engineering with specialized knowledge of textile equipment and processes bring out a wide range of textile fabrics and yarns from textile fibres. Textile engineers can easily find job opportunities in finishing, dyeing, technical services, product development, quality control, polymer science and R&D. Here is a list of various job profiles for individuals aspiring to build a solid career in this field:
- Production Engineer
- Process Engineer
- Process Control Engineer
- Quality Control Engineer
- Medical Textiles Engineer
- Development Engineer
- Product Designer
- R&D Professional
- CAD Specialist
- Quality Control Supervisor
- Plant Supervisor
- Marketing Professional
- Operations Trainee
- Sales Manager
- Technical Salesperson
Graduates with a degree in textile engineering are eligible for a number of job profiles as mentioned below.Some of the top recruiting companies for Textile Engineering are mentioned below –
- Lakshmi Machine Works
- Bhilwara Group
- Bombay Dyeing
- Mysore Silk
- Grasim Industries
- JCT Limited
- Lakshmi Mills
- Reliance Textiles
- Rajasthan Petro Synthetics
Individuals with skills like critical thinking, complex problem solving and quality control analysis can go very far in the textile industry. If you’re enthusiastic to take your passion to build a career in Textile Engineering, take this opportunity to reach our experts at Leverage Edu and get your favourite textile university for admission.