How to Become a Furniture Designer?
Quality furniture is a crucial part of any space. Good furniture can make your room stand out. This… The post How to Become a Furniture Designer? appeared first on Leverage Edu.
Quality furniture is a crucial part of any space. Good furniture can make your room stand out. This is where a furniture designer comes in. They are the creative and skilled minds who design, conceptualize and finalize quality fits for different spaces. They can work with interior designers, manufacturing companies and even by-self to create designs and actualize different furniture for different usage.
Who is a Furniture Designer?
Furniture Designers, as the name suggests, design products like tables, sofas, chairs, bed frames etc using wood and metal. They spend most of their time in design studios or workshops and travelling to meet clients and suppliers, attending trade shows. They design items for the mass market, at an industrial, commercial or domestic scale.
Also Read: Career in Product Design
What Does a Furniture Designer do?
- They draw and design trendy furniture maintaining both functionality and fashion
- They also focus on production, sale, procuring customer orders, and training to use computer-aided programmes
- They are trained to use 3D models and prototypes before the final production
- They craft interior and exterior furnishings by constantly testing and enhancing their techniques
- Regular client feedback also helps them understand the market demand
- Another key role of these designers is to manage and provide the budget that goes into designing and manufacturing the furniture
Eligibility Criteria for a Furniture Designer
- You must complete a 10+2 level of education from a recognised board with not less than 50%.
- Comfortable with CAD(Computer- Aided Design)
- To study abroad, you must qualify an english proficiency test like IELTS or TOEFL (score varies with country and university)
- GRE scores (varies with country and university)
- Letter of recommendation
- Should be creative and up-to-date with trends
- Should get a valid entrance score to get into the concerned institution
- Age limits might be a factor in some colleges or institutions
- Portfolio of past work experiences
- Resume/ CV
Also Read: Interior Design Courses
The job is highly creative but also requires technical knowledge of important software as well as hardware:
- Creative mind and practical skills
- Spatial skills i.e, formulating and creating a 2D design and further converting it into a 3D design
- Computer software skills
- Long attention span and patience to create intricate designs
- Good communication skills to understand what your clients want
- Mathematical and physics skills for any quantitative specifications
Top Universities Abroad for Furniture Designing
The first step to pursue this career is to get a bachelor’s degree in this field, interior design or architecture. Any good company or even clients prefer those with a bachelor degree from a recognised institution.
|Nottingham Trent University||BA (Hons) Furniture and Product Design (3 and 4 years)|
|University of Wolverhampton||BA (Hons) Furniture Design (3 years)|
|Ulster University||BDes (Hons) Product Design|
|London Metropolitan University||Ba (Hons) Furniture and Product Design (3 years)|
|University of Plymouth||Ba (Hons) Furniture and Product Design (3 years)|
|Birmingham City University||Ba (Hons) Furniture and Product Design (3 years)|
|Virginia Commonwealth University||Master of Fine Arts|
|University of Arts London||Ba (Hons) Furniture and Product Design (3 years)|
|Sheridan College||Bachelor of Craft and Design (Furniture) (4 years)|
|De Montfort University||Ba (Hons) Furniture and Product Design (3 years)|
Top Universities in India for Furniture Designing
- National Institute of Fashion Technology, Navi Mumbai
- National Institute of Design, Bengaluru
- National Institute of Fashion Technology, Chennai
- National Institute of Fashion Technology, New Delhi
- National Institute of Design, Ahmedabad
- Footwear Design and Development, Noida
- Arena Animation, Bengaluru
- YMCA Institute for Office Management, New Delhi
Also Read: Best Designing Courses and Universities
Books that you can refer to during your course are:
|Interior Design and Decoration by Seetharaman||Explore Now!|
|Interior Design for Beginners: A guide to decorating on a budget by Alice Cussler||Explore Now!|
|Classical Chinese Furniture by Marcus Flacks||Explore Now!|
|Design after Modernism||Explore Now!|
|Furniture for Everyone: Brian Lutz||Explore Now!|
Job Profile and Salaries
|Job Profile||Average Salaries|
|Furniture and Crafts Designers||$38k – $66k (INR 27L- 42L)|
|Product Designers- Furniture||$38k – $66k (INR 27L- 42L)|
|Product Researcher and Innovator||$37k-$57k (INR 27L – 41L)|
|Interior Designer and Decorator||$37k-$57k (INR 27L – 41L)|
|Furniture Conservator/Restorer||$37k-$57k (INR 27L – 41L)|
Other Career Prospects
- Specializing in furniture design (ergonomics)
- Teaching and lecturing
- Consultancy practices
- Private buyers
- Exhibitions organisers
- Furniture manufacturing companies
Some of the top furniture companies around the world hire furniture designers
- Godrej and Boyce Manufacturing Co. Ltd.
- Style Spa
- Restoration Hardware
- Millennium Lifestyle
A career as a furniture designer is highly rewarding as you can earn a lot while using your creativity and imagination. If you wish to build a career in this field, contact our experts at Leverage Edu who will guide you with the right university and course.