How to Become Immigration Lawyer?
A Career in Law comes with various specializations giving students multiple pathways to select the one that matches… The post How to Become Immigration Lawyer? appeared first on Leverage Edu.
A Career in Law comes with various specializations giving students multiple pathways to select the one that matches with their interest. While Criminal Law, Civil Law, Environmental Law, Cyber Law, Labour Law courses are some of the choicest options of the candidates, a lesser-known profession that has the potential to provide a great career to candidates is – Immigration law. Just like other law practitioners, Immigration lawyers deal with the issues of people pertaining to meeting requirements of the migration process. Through this blog, let us explore the job profile of these professionals.
Who is an Immigration Lawyer?
An immigration lawyer is a legal personnel specialised in resolving issues related to citizenship denials, appealing citizenship denials and obtaining visas. In order to become successful in the arena, one needs to stay well-informed with the migration laws of different countries and the process to apply for the same. The major job responsibility also includes assisting clients with immigration paperwork, advising clients on the process of becoming permanent residents or citizens of the country, and relocating businesses outside the country.
The eligibility conditions for law courses usually vary as per the program and university you have chosen. Most students opt for BA LLB or LLB programs to become a lawyer. Later, students can go for LLM specializations after finishing their bachelor’s.
- For Law courses like BA LLB or BBA LLB: You must have completed 10+2 in any stream or its equivalent from a recognized board with the minimum marks specified by their chosen university.
- For LLB: You must have completed a bachelor’s degree with the duration of 3-4 years in any field from a recognized university.
- For LLM: You must have an LLB degree from a recognized law university and many universities also prefer candidates with prior experience in Law.
- For LLD: You must have attained a PhD degree in a relevant field with 6-10 years of work experience in the industry.
To become an Immigration lawyer, one must possess certain skills in order to do justice to the field. Even though most of the skills can be developed over a period of time, after completing a degree in the field. Some skills need to be built by the candidates who aspire to become a successful Immigration lawyer. Given below are some of them:
- An Eye for Detail: An Immigration lawyer often go through a large amount of paperwork along with application and mistakes can often set the process back and lead to more time being taken. So, it is a must that they have a superb eye for detail, which allows them to highlight any issue with the paperwork before it is sent away.
- Strong Communication Skills: While dealing with such complex work, intense paperwork is something which cannot be ignored. Explaining these laws and justify all the documentation is not an easy task to do. So the immigration lawyer either has to convey client or they have to work with a strong communicator who is able to explain what the client needs to know in terms that they can easily understand.
- Problem-Solving Skills: These lawyers must have problem-solving skills and try to offer potential solutions when the clients face with a problem.
- A Thirst of Knowledge: The legal profession keeps changing, and so immigration law. So the lawyers must update knowledge in Law and Government.
- Active Listening: The student must possess the skill of Active Listening to treat people in the right way!
- Perseverance: These lawyers must show perseverance, who help in completing all the work that is required by the client in order to achieve the desired outcome.
Popular Courses for Immigration
The path toward becoming a successful Immigration lawyer requires a lot of effort, but it is a rewarding career option. Given below is a list of programs that will provide a base to meet your licensing requirements:
- Graduate Diploma in Migration Law
- LLM in Immigration Law
- BA LL.B
- Juris Degree (J.D.)
- LL.M. in International Human Right Law
- LL.M. International Migration and Refugee Law
- M.A. Migration, Society and Policy
- Certificate in Immigration Studies
The curriculum of diploma, bachelors and masters law program includes Immigration Law, International Human Rights Law, Refugee and Asylum Law, Labor Law, Racial and Justice law. Once the law degree has been obtained, the aspirant must give BAR exam in order to legally practice law in the country.
Certificate and Online Courses for Immigration Law
|Washington Online Learning Institute||Immigration Law Specialist Certificate Program|
|New England Law | Boston||Immigration Law Certificate Programme|
|CUNY School of Professional Studies||Advanced Certificate in Immigration Law Studies|
|The University of Texas at Austin||Immigration Law Specialist Certificate Program|
|Centennial College, Canada||Immigration Law|
|UC Davis School of Law||Immigration Law Certificate|
|Humber College, Canada||Immigration Consultant Certificate|
Also Read: LLM Courses
Top University to Become an Immigration Lawyer
There are various educational institutions that offer diplomas, bachelor’s and master’s programs in Immigration law and its related courses. Given below is a list of one of the top law colleges across the world:
- University of Virginia, United States
- Harvard University, United States
- Yale University, United States
- Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam, Netherlands
- University of Oxford, UK
- Victoria University, Australia
- Griffith University, Australia
Top Colleges in India for Law
|#1||National Law School of India University|
|#2||National Law University, Delhi|
|#3||Nalsar University of Law|
|#4||Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur|
|#5||National Law University, Jodhpur|
|#6||The West Bengal National University of Juridical Sciences|
|#7||Gujarat National Law University|
|#8||Symbiosis Law School|
|#9||Jamia Millia Islamia|
|#10||The Rajiv Gandhi National University of Law|
The demand for Immigration lawyers in every corner of the world has increased the career opportunities for students pursuing a course in the very field. Studying a course in the very field from renowned universities abroad have various benefits. Let’s look at some of the job profiles, which students can pursue after completion of course:
- Immigration Lawyers
- Law Professor
- Immigration Officer
The average salary of an immigration lawyer is INR 70,000 to 80,000 per month in India. The salary can be more for experienced lawyers and may differ based on country of practice.
- Davies & Associates
- Ajmera Law
- Jaypee Associates
We hope this blog convinced you to become an Immigration lawyer. If you are planning to study an LLB degree or any other course in Law from top universities, sign up for a 30-minute free career counselling session with our Leverage Edu and let our experts help you find a suitable program and university that fits your interests!