LLM in Canada
Want to study LLM in Canada? Canada is one of the top study destinations for Law programs and… The post LLM in Canada appeared first on Leverage Edu.
Want to study LLM in Canada? Canada is one of the top study destinations for Law programs and provides state-of-the-art educational and residential services and is one of the most welcoming countries around the globe. The major universities and colleges in Canada offer world-class law courses spread across different specialisations with immense exposure and global networking opportunities. If you are planning to pursue a Master of Law (LLM) in Canada, then you have definitely come to the right blog. So, let’s explore the various features of pursuing an LLM in Canada from top universities, admission criteria to costs and career scope.
Also Read: Masters in Canada
|LLM Full-Form||Latin Legum Magister|
|Popular Universities||University of Toronto|
|Eligibility||GPA: 7.0 out of 10 or 70%|
Top 20 LLM Programs in Canada
There are numerous specialisations offered LLM in Canada by top law schools and universities and at affordable course fees. To help you find the best course as per your interests, we have enlisted the top 20 LLM programs in Canada:
|LLM Programs In Canada||Universities|
|LLM in Business Law|
LLM in Criminal Law
LLM in Legal Theory
LLM in Health Law, Ethics and Policy
|Faculty of Law, University of Toronto|
PhD in Law
|University of Ottawa|
LLM in Air and Space Law
LLM in Bioethics
LLM in Environment
|LLM (Thesis-based)||University of Alberta|
|LLM (Full-time/Part-time)||Schulich School of Law, Dalhousie University|
|LLM in Political and Legal Thought|
|LLM Canadian Common Law |
LLM International Business Law (Full-time)
LLM Tax Law (Full-time/Part-time both)
LLM in Administrative Law (Part-time)
|Osgoode Hall Law School, York University|
LLM in Common Law
LLM in Taxation
|Peter A.Alliard School of Law, |
University of British Columbia
LLM or Master of Laws is a postgraduate course and is considered directly a successive course to an LLB, increasing in the specialization which goes into specific legal domains like International Law, Business Law, Corporate Law, Environmental Law, Criminal Law and others. It is mainly offered as a two-year course, preparing students for legal practice with organisations, as well as for becoming a courthouse lawyer. Like all Law courses, it is a skill-oriented program and needs learners to have a basic knowledge of the Law of the land as well as various legal instances and corporate nuances.
Eligibility for LLM in Canada
How to get admission in LLM in Canada? Here are the key eligibility requirements for LLM in Canada:
- Students must hold a Bachelor’s Degree in Law (LLB) or its equivalent to be eligible for an LLM in Canada. Leading Universities require students to have a grade score of at least 7.0 out of 10 (or 70%) to be eligible for admission to postgraduate study. Thus, you can pursue LLM in Canada after completing LLB in India.
- Students must provide English proficiency test scores of IELTS/TOEFL/PTE, etc. as well as a Statement of Purpose (SOP) and Letters of Recommendation (LORs).
- Students must apply for a valid VISA with the Canadian authorities to study in Canada which must be valid till the course duration, including internship duration if any.
- To work part-time or apply for internships, students must get an approved work permit from the respective authorities, and adhere to the work hour limit as prescribed by the University.
- Some universities require students to appear for and pass GRE or LSAT, as per the course requirements.
- To practice law in Canada, however, students must complete their degree in Juris Doctor (J.D) as a part of their formal education.
The subjects for LLM courses in Canada vary across colleges depending on their curriculum and syllabus. However, here are the major subjects taught under LLM.
- Business Law
- Criminal Law
- Health Law
- Ethics and Policy
- Legal Theory
- Intellectual Property Law
- Free Trade
- Conflict Prevention
Fees and Cost of LLM in Canada
Studying in developed countries like Canada is generally considered expensive as compared to developing nations, especially for foreign students. However, proper money management and being aware of the best and affordable accommodations can make a huge difference in a student’s overall expenses. Here are some major cost areas which students should pay heed to while going for an LLM in Canada:
|Average Tuition Fees of LLM in Canada||10,000 CAD to 55,000 CAD (roughly 5,50,000 INR-30,00,000 INR) annually|
|Application Fee and Books||500 CAD (roughly 25,000 INR)|
|Accommodation||1100 CAD (roughly 50,000 INR) |
[can vary as per the city]
|Food||100 CAD (roughly 5000 INR) weekly|
|Public Transport||150-200 CAD (roughly 8000-10000 INR) with a public pass|
Note: The aforementioned cost of studying in Canada are only for indicative purposes and correspond to rough estimates and average costs. Students are advised to check the official website of the university for course fees.
You can also calculate the living costs in Canada through our Cost of Living Calculator.
Scholarships for LLM in Canada
There are numerous law scholarships offered for LLM in Canada and are majorly university-based scholarships. Here is the complete list of LLM scholarships in Canada:
- Shirley Greenberg Scholarship by University of Ottawa
- The Faculty of Law Scholarship in Environment and Sustainability by University of Ottawa
- O’Brien Fellowships for Human Rights and Legal Pluralism by McGill University
- Faculty of Law Fellowships by University of Toronto
- International Student Entrance Scholarships by York University
Apart from these, you can also check out the following top law universities in Canada which offering financial aid and scholarships for LLM:
- Dalhousie University
- University of British Columbia
- University of Calgary
- University of Alberta
The NCA (National Committee on Accreditation) is an exam one needs to pass before sitting for the Bar Examination in Canada. It is held around four times a year and covers the five major subject areas in the exam:
- Foundations of Canadian Professional Responsibility
- Canadian Law
- Canadian Constitutional Law
- Canadian Criminal Law
- Canadian Administrative Law
You can only move on to working on the provincial Bar Admissions Course once you pass this exam and then choose the Canadian province you wish to work and live in.
Why Pursue LLM in Canada?
Canada is fast emerging as a favourite study destination amongst international students planning to pursue higher education abroad. It constantly ranks among the top countries in the world for education, as well as known for its cultural acceptance. When going for a master’s degree in Law, you must definitely consider Canada. Here are some of the major reasons why many internationals consider prefer pursuing LLM in Canada:
- Pursuing a Law degree abroad opens up newer dimensions to students’ careers as they become acquainted with the laws of two countries. This equips them to work as legal representatives for MNCs on a higher level.
- Students in Canada can receive various financial aids to alleviate the incurring costs of studying abroad. These aids can be in the form of student loans provided by the Government of Canada, University scholarships or plenty of part-time work opportunities. Although, part-time jobs also require a valid work permit from the authorities.
- Possessing an International degree makes students better experience with a wider field of study in the eyes of recruiters, hence boosts student’s employability.
- Studying in Canada makes it easier for students to establish their professional practice in the same country, also making it easier for them to earn permanent citizenship in the country.
Related Read: Life in Canada for Indians
Check out our next section to know more about the top-ranked universities in Canada for LLM courses!
Top Law Schools for LLM in Canada
There are many world-leading universities in Canada offering globally acclaimed law degrees at various academic levels. They also have adequate resources for students to go into research and developmental work. Here is a list of the top Universities offering LLM in Canada as per the QS and THE World Universities Rankings 2020 for Law:
|University||QS World Universities |
Rankings 2020 (Law)
|THE World |
|University of Toronto||20||18|
|University of British Columbia||40||34|
|University of Montreal||101-500||85|
|University of Alberta||151-200||136|
|University of Ottawa||151-200||141|
Jobs after LLM in Canada
Completing an LLM in Canada has a very diverse career scope. As opposed to popular opinion of lawyers being limited to the courthouse, nowadays every major organisation requires their own legal representative. Students can look for jobs in a range of industries, which includes Consultancy firms, Corporate firms, International Organisations, Law Firms and NGOs. These representatives maintain the organisation’s legal reputation and disputes. However, other than a traditional Advocacy job, students can have job profiles such as:
- Legal Consultant
- Attorney General
- Legal Counsel
- Assistant Professor
- Legal Manager
LLM programs in Canada are usually 1-2 year long courses in Law and are offered in varied specialisations ranging from Business Law and Taxation to Criminal Law and Health Law, etc.
You will have to pursue Juris Doctor or JD program after completing your LLM in Canada to gain the certification of practicing Law in Canada.
The general requirements for Indian students to pursue LLM in Canada is a bachelor’s degree in Law, i.e. LLB along with GRE/LSAT scores as well as English language proficiency scores of IELTS, TOEFL, etc.
Many universities offer affordable LLM and Juris Doctor programs in Canada including Queen’s University, University of the Fraser Valley, Ontario Tech University, University of Alberta, among others.
Hence, this article sums up all the necessary information about studying LLM in Canada. If you are aiming to pursue a degree in Law in Canada, our Leverage Edu experts are here to assist you in choosing the best course and university as per your preferences and interests and further helping you throughout the admission process to get you successfully shortlisted! Book a free e-meeting with us today!