Petrochemical Engineering & Technology
Petrochemical Engineering, also known as Petroleum Engineering or Oil and Gas Engineering has been in demand for quite… The post Petrochemical Engineering & Technology appeared first on Leverage Edu.
Petrochemical Engineering, also known as Petroleum Engineering or Oil and Gas Engineering has been in demand for quite some time now. Students as per their interests choose this field and are earning quite an impressive remuneration from around the world. But what is it? Is it dangerous or something as oil and gas is involved? First of all, Petrochemical Engineering covers the activities related to the extraction of gas or minerals in today’s world. Being one of the branches of Chemical Engineering, it imparts knowledge to individuals on how one can ethically and successfully extract raw materials from the Earth using appropriate tools and machinery. Also, students are trained to construct those said machineries.
Who Should Pursue Petrochemical Engineering?
- Any student with a true passion for science and machinery and want to know more about the raw material and how to extract them without harming the environment.
- Students who have the ability to think outside the box.
- Creative students who don’t mind getting their knees dirty.
- Students good at calculations and mathematical theories.
- Are willing to work abroad.
Some of the common admission requirement for those planning to study abroad are-
- For UG Courses: Formal education in 10+2 with MPC Subjects with minimum required marks
- For PG Courses: A UG degree like BTech in Petrochemical Engineering or in any other related fields from a recognized university
- A good score in IELTS or TOEFL
- Minimum reuired score in GRE or GMAT
- SOP, resume, LOR,
Specialisations in Petrochemical Engineering
The multidisciplinary nature of Petrochemical Engineering as well as the fact that it is constantly evolving, there are many opportunities to specialise. Some of these can be:
|Reservoir Engineering deals with the optimisation of the production of oil and gas via proper placement, production rates and improved oil recovery systems.
|Drilling Engineering deals to study the management of the technical aspects of drilling exploratory, production and injection wells.
|Drilling Fluid Engineering
|Drilling Fluid Engineering aims to study the oil or gas well drilling rig and to ensure the properties of the drilling fluid also known as drilling mud.
|Subsurface Engineering studies the designing and overseeing of the implementation of techniques that are aimed to ensure the stability of the wells drilled and the maximum opportunity for oil and gas production.
|manage the interface between the reservoir and the well, including perforations, sand control, downhole flow control, and downhole monitoring equipment; evaluate artificial lift methods; and select surface equipment that separates the produced fluids (oil, natural gas, and water).
|Mining Engineering analyses the process of extracting minerals from the earth’s surface and converting them into usable forms. It also refers to the phenomenon of designing and crafting tools, machines and engines for mining.
|gather information about subsurface properties to build wellbore stability models and study rock properties
|It studies the use of biological processes and systems to produce products that will improve the quality of life. These include related fields like Bioengineering and Bio-manufacturing.
Courses in Petrochemical Engineering
- Graduate program in Petroleum Engineering
- Bachelor of Engineering Technology in Petroleum Post Diploma
- Bachelor of Engineering Technology in Petroleum
- MSc Petroleum Geoscience
- Master of Science in Petroleum Engineering
- Master of Science in Petroleum Engineering
- Master of Science in Petroleum Engineering (Thesis)
- Master of Science in Petroleum Engineering
- Master of Applied Science in Oil and Gas Engineering
- Chemical and Petroleum Engineering
- Petroleum Engineering
- Structural Geology
- Petroleum and Natural Gas Engineering
- MSc Geotechnical Engineering
- Petroleum Engineering – Master
- Petroleum Engineering – Doctorate
Petrochemical Engineering Subjects
The study of Petrochemical Engineering deals with education in various sectors of Reservoir Engineering, Geophysics, Drilling Engineering, Production Engineering and Oil and Gas facilities Engineering. Let us take a look at the list of topics covered at both the graduate and post-graduate levels.
- Drilling Fluids and Cement
- Drilling Technology
- Petroleum Engineering Practicals
- Humanities and Social Sciences
- Mechanical Engineering
- Numerical and Statistical Sciences
- Petroleum Production Techniques
- Managerial Economics
- Surveying Practical
- Sedimentary and Petroleum Practical
- Drilling System Design
- Oil and Gas Well Testing
- Offshore Drilling and Petroleum Production Practices
- Oil and Gas Processing System
- Deep-Sea Production system
- Engineering Mathematics
- Engineering Chemistry
- Process Instrumentation
Want to get admission to your dream university abroad? Then, Register Here!
Petrochemical Engineering Universities Abroad
Can refining and extracting processes be redesigned to reduce pollution? How to crude oil be refined for commercial use? Do we have ways to efficiently extract natural gas? Pursuing a degree in Petrochemical Engineering can encourage students to gain technical knowledge and hands-on experience enabling them to become experts in varied petrochemical-based industries. Have a look at the table given below to know some of the globally recognised universities offering excellent courses in Petrochemical Engineering:
- University of Aberdeen
- University of Tulsa
- Missouri University of Science and Technology
- West Virginia University
- University of Southern California
- University of Alberta
- University of Calgary
- Dalhousie University
- Colorado School of Mines
- Texas A&M University
- Coventry University
- University of Bradford
- Babes-Bolyai University
Scope of Petrochemical Engineering
India is one of the richest countries in minerals and natural gases. With the collaboration of the government and private firms, international investors and oil and petrochemical companies in the Gulf countries have increased employment opportunities for graduates with a degree in Petrochemical Engineering. Also, those who are repulsed by the profile but are still interested in making equipment can always go into the quality checking and maintenance aspect of the job.
Petrochemical Engineering Jobs
There is a high demand for Petrochemical engineers in petrol, coal manufacturing industries, natural gas and mineral researching plants, support activities for mining and education institutes. A few of the prominent job profiles can be:
- Principal Petroleum Engineer
- Petroleum Engineer
- Petroleum and Coal Products Manufacturer
- Oil and Gas Extraction Engineer
- Supporting Mining Engineer
- Operations Manager
- Drilling Engineer
- Production Engineer
- Chief Petroleum Engineer
- Offshore Drilling Engineer
- Reservoir Engineer
|Principal Petroleum Engineer
|Petroleum and Coal Products Manufacturer
|Supporting Mining Engineer
|Oil and Gas Extraction
- Essar Oil
- Bharat Petroleum Corporation Limited (BPCL)
- Indian Oil Corporation Limited (IOCL)
- Hindustan Petroleum Corporation Limited (HPCL)
- Hindustan Oil Exploration Company Ltd (HOEC)
- Oil and Natural Gas Corporation Limited (ONGC)
Petrochemical Engineering Courses in India
- BTech/ BE in Petroleum Engineering Petrochemical Engineering
- BTech/ BE in Petrochemical Engineering
- BTech/ BE in Applied Petroleum Engineering
- BTech/ BE in Petroleum Refinery Engineering
- BTech/ BE in Petroleum Reservoir and Production Engineering
- MTech in Petroleum Exploration
- MTech in Petroleum Refinery Engineering
- MTech in Petroleum Refining and Petrochemical Engineering
- M.Tech + B.Tech in Petroleum Engineering (Integrated Course)
Petrochemical Engineering Colleges India
- Indian Institute of Technology, Maharashtra
- Indian School of Mines University, Jharkhand
- University of Petroleum & Energy Studies, Uttarakhand
- Pandit Deendayal Petroleum University, Guajarat
- Maharashtra Institute of Technology, Maharashtra
- M.S. Engineering College, Karnataka
- L.D. College of Engineering, Gujarat
- G.H. Patel College of Engineering, Gujarat
- Rajiv Gandhi Institute of Petroleum Technology, Uttar Pradesh
Because of rapid developments in the technological horizon like the advancement in computer modelling, probability analysis, horizontal drilling and other technologies like enhanced oil recovery and other sustainable methods, opting for engineering branches has always been fruitful for the students. Are you planning to sign up for a course at one of the top Chemical Engineering universities across the world? Let Leverage Edu be your helping hand – reach out to our experts and get a chance to make your dream come true!