PG in UK after MBBS in India
Wondering what are your option after completing MBBS in India or currently a medical practitioner who wants to… The post PG in UK after MBBS in India appeared first on Leverage Edu.
Wondering what are your option after completing MBBS in India or currently a medical practitioner who wants to study further and enhance your clinical skills? The UK stands among the top countries to study medicine. PG in UK offers the quality education, globally recognized degrees to great courses to pursue after MBBS. If you are planning to study abroad, then read on this blog to explore everything about PG in UK after MBBS in India
Why study PG in UK after MBBS in India?
Medical is one of the most lucrative fields in the UK offering a wide range of clinical specializations to choose from. MD in the UK is a 2-3 year research degree. After completion, applicants are eligible to practice medicine not only in the UK but in India as well. UK degree is recognized in India by the MCI (Medical Council of India). Students can apply for PG in UK after MBBS in India without clearing NEET- PG. MBBS is a great choice but opting for a PG course will broaden your knowledge and skills. Students who study medicine in the UK go through rigorous medical training after primary medical studies followed by foundation training, specialty training, GP, and other run-through training. This helps in becoming a world-class medical practitioner. Pursuing PG in UK after MBBS in India opens up a wide array of opportunities, you will be well-versed and advanced trained in your field of specialization. Students looking to expand their knowledge base, improve their procedural and clinical skills, should certainly opt for this option without a doubt.
Also Read : PG in Australia after MBBS from India
There are three pathways to enter PG in UK after MBBS in India. Here are all the details for applicants planning to study MD/MS from UK:
With PLAB (Professional and Linguistic Assessments Board)
Applicants can pursue PG in the UK after MBBS in India with the PLAB exam. It is a prerequisite for obtaining GMC registration which is mandatory in the UK Medical system. It is a certification exam to test your eligibility for GMC (General Medical Council) registration. It does not grant a degree. It only register’s applicants with GMC
PG in UK after MBBS in India without PLAB
- There are a few universities in the UK that accept international medical graduates without PLAB. The British University in collaboration with NHS Hospitals and Royal College of Physicians, London have introduced an extensive clinical MD course offering internationally recognized Masters Degree and training in all major specializations such as Cardiology, Acute Medicine, Diabetes, Respiratory Medicine, Oncology, and others from top UK hospital.
- Trainees are provided with GMC-UK registration at the beginning of the PG course through which applicants are able to do clinical practice along with their studies.
- Candidates that have appeared in the PLAB exam before and were not able to qualify are not eligible to apply.
Also Read : MBBS in the Philippines for Indian Students
- MRCP stands for Membership of the Royal Colleges of Physicians of the United Kingdom [MRCP(UK)]. It is a postgraduate medical diploma in the United Kingdom (UK).
- Applicants have to clear MRCP before taking admission into higher specialty training. MRCP is an approved postgraduate qualification by the GMC. Applicants will get GMC full registration with a license to practice.
Now that you are aware of the pathways to enter PG in UK after MBBS in India. Here are some other mandatory eligibility requirements to be fulfilled by every applicant planning to study in UK:
- IELTS score between the range of 6.5 – 7.5
- ‘B’ in OET (Occupational English Test) to prove that you are proficient in the English language.
- MBBS degree from any recognized university, or any equivalent degree from medical school, internationally recognized.
- It’s highly recommended to complete an acceptable pattern of internship outside of the UK.
- 2-3 years of relevant work experience can further boost the chances of your career. Getting the Certificate of Readiness to enter Specialty Training (CREST) signed off by your supervising consultants will enable you to apply for training posts.
Also Read : Is there an MBBS in Canada?
PG in UK after MBBS in India Scope
MD/MS in the UK is an internationally recognized course. Students pursuing this need not worry about its importance in India or around the globe. The degree is recognized by the Medical Council of India (MCI) for registration in India as MD Internal Medicine. There is no requirement to appear for a Screening Test/Exam in India for registration as a specialist doctor after completion of Clinical MD in the UK. It also allows you to take up teaching appointments as an Asst. Professor in Medical Colleges in India.
Also Read : Is MBA after MBBS a good option?
Popular PG Courses in UK after MBBS in India
UK offers MD/MS in various branches of medicine. Here is the list of popular courses that are recognized by MCI also:
|Clinical Doctor of Medicine in the UK||Surgery in the UK|
Also Read: MBBS from Abroad
The courses that attract international students from all around the world are Dermatology and Orthopedic. Let us explore these courses in detail:
PG in Dermatology
Dermatology is a branch of medicine that specializes in treating the skin, hair, and nails. Upon successful completion of the 4-year period, the medical practitioner becomes an accredited dermatologist and can apply for consultant dermatologist in any hospital, India or abroad, or start their individual practice. Here are the eligibility, salary, and top colleges in the UK:
- MBBS or equivalent degree from a reputed university, internationally recognized.
- Training at any hospital for a period of at least 1 year.
- Minimum 2 years of training experience in general medicine to qualify for the MRCP exam.
- Specialize in dermatology after studying for 4 years and earning a specialty certificate before completing the training.
Top Dermatology colleges in UK
- University of Hertfordshire
- King’s College London
- University of Cardiff
After PG in UK after MBBS in India in Dermatologist, applicants can expect an average salary of £87856 (INR 94,00,000) per annum. In India, the salary of an entry-level dermatologist is around Rs.10,00,000 per year whereas an experienced dermatologist can expect up to Rs. 25,00,000.
Also Read : MBBS Subjects
PG in Orthopaedic
Orthopaedic surgeons use both nonsurgical and surgical procedures to deal with injuries of muscles and bones. The job responsibilities of an orthopaedic include clinical visits, performing surgery, also carrying out medical research or analysis.
Since orthopaedics comes under the branch of medical surgery, registration in ISTP (International Surgical Training Programme) is a prerequisite. ISTP comes under the general MTI – Medical Training Initiative program in the UK which enables IMGs to get sponsorship and get a 2-year visa for training in UK hospitals.
To be eligible to register in the ISTP, International Medical Graduates needs to pass the following criteria:
- Candidates should have a GMC recognized medical degree.
- The acceptable pattern of internship for a period of 1 year in a recognized hospital.
- Relevant work experience and clinical training for a period of 3 years excluding the 1 year period of internship.
- Should be an international resident and should not hold citizenship in the UK at the time of registration.
- Minimum IELT score of 7.5.
The salary of an orthopedics surgeon in the U.K lies between the range of INR 43,00,000- 1,00,00,000. The average annual income of orthopedics surgeons in India is ₹1,507,360.
Cost of Study in UK
For international students, the average cost of a medical degree will roughly be around 13-14 lakhs per year, depending on the medical college in UK. If you are an international student, looking to study PG in the UK after MBBS and worried about the cost of study. There are various scholarships available. Here are some types of scholarships available for students pursuing PG in UK after MBBS in India
- Many organizations and health services offer concessions and scholarships to international students.
- You can apply for student loans in various banks.
- NHS (National Health Services) also offers bursaries to students in the final years of their medical degree.
This course is internationally recognized, so you don’t have to worry about its eligibility in India. It is recognized by MCI, Medical Council of India. You do not have to take any screening test or pass any exam to start your practice as a specialty doctor in India.
Studying in the UK is a great opportunity for medical students as they undergo rigorous medical training followed by Foundation training, Specialty Training, GP, and other run-through training. This provides them with extensive knowledge and helps them become greatly skilled specialists in their field.
The process can be divided into two categories:
PLAB 1 is conducted twice a year. It is a theory-based MCQ exam. It is advised to prepare for at least 3-4 months before taking it.
PLAB 2 is conducted in manchester, UK. It is a practical exam where you have to put your knowledge to the test in a clinical-based scenario.
Membership of the Royal Colleges of Physicians of the United Kingdom [MRCP(UK)] is conducted in 3 parts. 2 of them are written exams and 1 clinical exam PACES, Practical Assessment of Clinical Examination Skills
Before applying to training jobs, you have to have at least 1 year of experience to get familiarized with core medical training. After that, you need 2-3 years of hands-on experience at the training jo
After clearing the PLAB, you will become GMC registered. The next step is 1 year of internship, followed by 2-3 years of work at a training job, during which you can also prepare for MRCP exams. You can further aim for specialty training which takes another 4 years. Thus, to sum it all up, it can roughly take up to 7-8 years to become a world-class medical practitioner in the UK.
Checkout Popular Countries to Study MBBS
- MBBS in Ireland
- MBBS in the Philippines for Indian Students
- MBBS in Italy
- MBBS in Malaysia
- MBBS in Hungary
- MBBS in Ukraine: Everything You Need to Know
- Do MBBS in Russia and Be a Highly-Skilled Doctor At A Reasonable Cost
- MBBS in Netherlands
- MBBS in NetherlandsMBBS in Georgia- Paradise for Medical Student in 2021
- MBBS in Japan
This was all about PG in UK after MBBS in India. We hope this blog was insightful. The UK institutions are among the top 100 universities in the world. For further details or queries related to the admission process in the UK, you can contact us at Leverage Edu– a place where dreams become reality! Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and LinkedIn.