PhD in Canada
Home to cross-ethnic communities, a lively city culture and thriving businesses, Canada is a go-to place when it… The post PhD in Canada appeared first on Leverage Edu.
Home to cross-ethnic communities, a lively city culture and thriving businesses, Canada is a go-to place when it comes to overseas education. In addition to that, the world-renowned educational institutions and multifarious offered avenues of research establish Canada as a sought-after destination when it comes to PhD courses. From Science to Fine Arts, the country offers an immense number of opportunities for research scholars to explore. If you are looking to pursue your PhD in Canada at one of its leading universities, this blog will provide you with the key essentials from eligibility criteria to the application process.
About PhD in Canada
A typical PhD in Canada, as in most educational systems around the world, is a terminal degree or at the end of the spectrum of higher education. It is a specialized course aimed at delving into a particular topic within a defined field of study under a guiding professor. The structure of a Canadian PhD boasts the highest alikeness with that of UK than with its neighbouring USA in terms of course structure. Generally running for a period of 3 years, a full-time PhD is highly flexible with some courses permitting students to pursue the program for more than 6 years. It introduces individuals to the fundamentals of research and analysis techniques right from the beginning of the course. Further, PhD programs combine both advanced coursework with research study methods, paper publishing, teaching and a host of other things. A few professionally-oriented courses may also offer placement benefits.
PhD in Canada for Indian Students Requirements
Be it Canada or any other country, you need to fulfil certain eligibility conditions in order to study abroad. These have been mentioned below:
- A postgraduate degree in closely-related field with consistent grades. Further, extracurricular activities and prior research experiences are also preferred. For select PhD degrees, such as an integrated masters-PhD program, a high ranking bachelor’s degree is also accepted.
- A research proposal and a letter of recommendation from your chosen supervisor at the university.
- Minimum English Language ability proof in the form of acceptable IELTS/TOEFL scores.
- Acceptable scores in ability-testing examinations such as the GRE or GMAT depending on the nature of the course.
- Other application requirements include all post-secondary transcripts and degrees, an SOP, LORs, application fee, writing sample, curriculum vitae (CV), funding essay etc.
Note: Specific course and university eligibility criteria may vary depending on the requirements of the degree.
Top Universities for PhD in Canada
Choosing to study in Canada is one of the best decisions you will make as it will open a world full of opportunities. The universities offer students ample opportunities to dive into a topic. Further, the best-in-class research facilities, renowned professors and academic scholars and a diverse group of students help promote a creative culture and innovative thinking. A few of the universities which offer PhD degrees in fields ranging from management, economics, engineering to arts, culture and society and everything in between have been listed below. You can also read our blog on Best Colleges in Canada.
- University of Toronto
- University of British Columbia
- McGill University
- McMaster University
- University of Montreal
- University of Alberta
- University of Ottawa
- University of Calgary
The list of above universities has been curated from the Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2021.
PhD in Canada Cost
International tuition fees to pursue a PhD in Canada may hover around CAD 6500 (INR 352700) to 8500 (INR 462000)* per year with a few course fees crossing the CAD 10,000 mark (INR 542600) per year. In general, the cost of studying in Canada is relatively cheaper than that of USA.
Wondering how you can be a part of a top-ranked university offering PhD in Canada? Attend the Uniconnect Virtual Fair by Leverage Edu and get a chance to directly apply to your dream university with us. Register Now!
- Visit the official website of the university you are interested in .
- Check the course curriculum and the eligibility requirements.
- Click on the application form of the respective university.
- First, you need to create an account using your mobile number or email address.
- You will receive an email or SMS on your registered contact number with login details and verification.
- Use the login details provided and enter your personal details ( name, gender, date of birth)
- Enter your academic qualification and upload the required documents.
- Select the course and pay the application fee.
- The application fee is different for every university and can be paid through a debit/credit card or internet banking.
- Submit your application form, you can also track your application form through your account.
- Students that have been selected will be required to attend a virtual interview by some universities.
To help you get started with your PhD in Canada, pillow we have mentioned a list of documents that you will need during the application process-
- Transcripts of your previous courses
- Competitive exam score card
- Photocopy of your passport
- Detailed resume
- Letter of Recommendation
- Statement of Purpose
- Research proposal (Optional)
- Other important certificates and transcripts
Intakes for PhD in Canada
for all those who are planning to complete a PhD in Canada, it is important to target the right semester as per the field and university of your choice. Canada mainly offers 3 semesters during the year and in all the three semesters it allows international students to seek admission in the universities of their choice. Here are the main three intakes in Canada-
- Winter- January to April
- Fall- September to December
- Summer- May to August
For international students looking forward to pursuing a PhD in Canada, it is mandatory to have a student visa before they enter the Canadian borders. Once they have secured their student visa for the country along with an acceptance letter from the university, candidates are all set to pursue the course. It is important to note that along with the student visa, it is mandatory for candidates to have a study permit which is valid as long as the duration of their PhD course.
PhD in Canada for Indian Students with Scholarships
Several scholarship schemes support meritorious students aspiring to pursue a PhD in Canada. From providing full financial support to stipends and accommodation assistance, they help individuals explore research opportunities comfortably. A few scholarship options have been mentioned below.
- Ontario Trillium Scholarship at Waterloo University
- University of Calgary Merit-based Scholarship
- University of Manitoba Graduate Fellowship
- Pierre Elliott Trudeau Foundation Doctoral Scholarship*
- Graduate Global Leadership Fellowship at University of British Columbia
- Banting Postdoctoral Fellowship
- NSERC Postgraduate Scholarship
- Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship
PhD is the highest qualification in the current education system and gives every student a chance to delve deeper into their field of interest. Needless to say, it involves heavy research work and getting a good hold of advanced concepts of the relevant field. If you are looking to pursue a PhD or any other higher education degree but feel uncertain as to its suitability and prospects, get in touch with our experienced counsellors at Leverage Edu and we’ll guide you throughout the process of selecting a suitable program and university that equip you with the right knowledge and exposure to kickstart your career.