Study in Asia
The Asian continent has seen tremendous growth in the field of technology, industry and education. Home to the… The post Study in Asia appeared first on Leverage Edu.
The Asian continent has seen tremendous growth in the field of technology, industry and education. Home to the world’s fastest-growing economies, Asia has emerged as the promised land for diverse courses and career options, educational facilities, and excellent universities. Countries like Japan, Israel and Hong Kong are viewed as established education powerhouses. While countries like Singapore, South Korea and China are seeing a vast increase in international students pursuing higher studies. Whereas universities in countries like Taiwan, Malaysia and India are ranked amongst global education giants and becoming the preferred choice for international students across the world . Let’s explore the continent of contrast further and learn why you should study in Asia for the upcoming intakes!
Why Study in Asia?
- Asia is one of the top choices among students for pursuing higher studies. This is mainly because of its unique culture, history, and globally recognised education system which makes it a popular choice.
- Asia is home to the world’s fastest economies like Singapore, China, Hong Kong, South Korea, India, Taiwan which means students can easily find diverse job offers, interact with top leaders and build a strong presence in the hub of economic bloom.
- Asian countries offer quality of education, extraordinary facilities and beautiful surroundings, excellent masters programmes also makes Asia an excellent choice for those looking to explore a country as well as gain valuable skills and experience.
- Asian countries offer affordable education programmes and a lower cost of living as compared to Western countries. International students can easily save up and study in these countries without the fear of taking additional student loans or debt.
- Scholarships are another reason why Asia is fast emerging as a study choice for students. Most universities located in Asia offer scholarships and bursaries to international students to study and prosper in the country.
- Asia is an excellent location for international students who wish to travel and experience diverse traditions, cultures and practices. Students can easily intern in different Asian countries to gain experience and a fresh view on life!
Cost of Studying in Asia
The cost of studying in Asia varies from country to country. Let’s have a look at the tuition fees of the top few countries –
- Singapore: Education in Singapore is cheaper than in the USA and UK. The average tuition fee for a year ranges from around INR 15-30 lakhs while the living expenses can cost around US$8,000 ( INR 5,00,000) a year.
- China: On average, students have to pay between 11,300 to 20,900 Yuan per academic year. However, for medicine, business, or engineering then the cost will definitely increase.
- Japan: Japan is a pretty affordable country for international students and the average monthly expenses are around 138,000 yen.
- India: India is another cheap option for international students. The average cost of living and studying in India per year can be INR 10 to 24 lakhs
Study in Asia after 12th
To pursue an undergraduate degree to study in Asia after XIIth, here are all the requirements you need to fulfill-
- Students must obtain an academic transcript of upper secondary education from their respective board.
- Some institutions might ask students to appear for an entrance exam or an interview based on the university or course requirements.
- Similarly, for a graduate degree too, students must hold a bachelor’s degree to be considered eligible. They might be asked to sit for an entrance as specified by the university.
- Most Asian universities do not require students to submit IELTS or TOEFL exams if they belong to a specific country so long as they can provide proof of English language proficiency like a college marksheet or a medium of instruction certificate from school or college.
Education in Asia
The universities in Asia are of two types, i.e. Public Universities and Private Universities. Asian universities follow the pattern of offering degrees at three levels after XIIth. Students can enroll for any of the degrees only if they meet the eligibility criteria specified by each.
- Undergraduate (Bachelor’s)
- Graduate (Master’s)
- Diploma and PG Diploma (Short-term certifications)
- Postgraduate (Doctorate) certifications.
Top Universities in Asia
Here is a list of world-class and highly renowned universities to study in Asia:
- National University of Singapore
- Tsinghua University, China
- Nanyang Technological University, Singapore
- University of Hong Kong
- Zhejiang University, China
- Fudan University, China
- Peking University, China
- University of Tokyo, Japan
- The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, Hong Kong
- Fudan University, China
- Seoul National University, South Korea
- Kyoto University, Japan
- KAIST – Korea Advanced Institute of Science & Technology, South Korea
Popular Courses to Study in Asia
The list of courses offered by Asian Universities is plenty. However, there are a few popular courses that are very much in demand for those who wish to pursue higher studies in Asia. Here are some of the most popular courses among international students to study in Asia:
- Masters in Biomedical Engineering
- Masters in Economics
- Masters in Finance
- Masters in Management
- Masters in Computer Science
The intakes in Asian universities vary depending upon the choice of country. While some have two intakes, few others have three or four.
The intakes are –
- Summer Intake
- Spring Intake
- Winter Intake
- Fall Intake
Students must keep themselves updated with announcements regarding intakes to ensure they apply on time.
Must Read: Spring vs Winter vs Fall vs Summer Intakes
The document requirements vary from school to school and also depend on the different programs you are applying for. However, the basic documents that are needed to study in Asia are:
- Your high school and all other grade transcripts
- Language test results scores like IELTS, TOEFL, etc.
- Copy of your passport
- Submission essays (if asked by the university)
- Updated CV or Resume
- Statement of purpose (SOP)
- Letter of recommendation
- Copy of student visa
The application process for Asian universities is quite similar in the cases of most of universities. To apply for Asian universities, students must follow the below-mentioned steps –
- Candidates should visit the official website of the institution.
- Then, click on ‘Apply Now’ or ‘Register Here’
- Candidates are then asked to provide their education history with all the qualifications.
- Candidates are also required to fill in the details of their employment history and personal statement.
- Once the form has been filled up, students must submit the application form by paying the mentioned fees.
A number of scholarships are provided to international students for pursuing studies in Asia. Listed below are the top few scholarships offered by Asian countries to help and encourage international student enrollment.
- Government of Malaysia International Scholarships (Mis)
The scholarship is provided to the most meritorious students with excellent academic records and covers the expenses of the following:
- Tuition fees.
- Monthly maintenance grants.
- Yearly funds for books and travel.
- Airline tickets from the candidate’s city to Malaysia.
- Medical / Health Insurance.
- Installation and Termination grant.
- Singapore: Nanyang President’s Graduate Scholarships (fully-funded)
The fellowship provided to the most meritorious students covers the following –
- Full tuition fees
- An annual grant of $500 ( journal subscription or book purchase)
- Thesis preparation allowance
- Monthly allowance of $3,000
- Conference allowance up to S$4,000/ year.
- One-time IT allowance of $1500
- Subsidized campus accommodation is given priority.
- Sri Lanka Presidential Scholarship
The scholarship is provided by the Government of Sri Lanka to support underprivileged students who wish to apply for any degree course. The scholarship grants various benefits like educational expenses, living allowance, and accommodation fees.
This is all that you need to know if you plan to study in Asia. Are you planning to study abroad? Contact our experts at Leverage Edu and book at a free session today to resolve all your doubts!