Study in Portugal in 2023
Sprawled with ancient architecture and cobblestone roads, Portugal is one of Europe’s oldest countries. It is also one… The post Study in Portugal in 2023 appeared first on Leverage Edu.
Sprawled with ancient architecture and cobblestone roads, Portugal is one of Europe’s oldest countries. It is also one of the most affordable European countries to study in. Moreover, the land of golden beaches is an amazing country to pursue higher education with its excellent academic record, low tuition cost and high student satisfaction rate. It is also one of the safest countries in Europe for international students who wish to study in the country. With over 125 private and public higher education institutions, breathtaking mountains and countries like Spain, France and Morocco only hours away makes studying in the country a once in a lifetime opportunity. In this blog, we focus on how to study in Portugal, its top universities and more!
Some quick facts and figures about studying abroad in Portugal are tabulated below.
|Name of the Country
|Capital of the Country
|Number of International Students
|September – July
|Types of Degrees
|Bachelor’s; Master’s; and Doctorate
Why Study in Portugal?
- It goes without saying, a degree from foreign university holds great importance. While many people often opt for popular European countries like the UK, France or Germany. There are some European countries like Portugal that not only offer cheaper tuition fees but also quality education.
- Portugal is one of the top choices among students for pursuing higher studies abroad. Its unique culture, history, and globally recognised education system make it a popular choice.
- The quality of student accommodation makes it an even more desirable location for pursuing studies.
- With extraordinary facilities and beautiful surroundings, excellent masters programmes in fields like business management, engineering, international relations. Portugal is an excellent choice for those looking to explore a country as well as gain valuable skills and experience.
Higher Education in Portugal
Higher education in Portugal today follows the universal Bologna Process and hence offers courses under the following three categories:
- Undergraduate (Bachelor’s)
- Graduate (Master’s)
- Postgraduate (Doctorate) certifications.
Educational Institutes to study in Portugal are of two types – Traditional and Polytechnical. Both are further divided into public and private institutes. Polytechnic Universities offer vocational, career-based training in fields like – medicine, natural sciences, economics and law.
Top Universities to Study in Portugal
Here is a list of world-class and highly renowned universities to study in Portugal:
|Name of University
|US News Ranking 2022-23
|THE Ranking 2023
|Universidade Nova de Lisboa
|Instituto Superior Tecnico
|Catholic University of Portugal
|University of Lisbon
|University of Coimbra
|University of Minho
|University of Beira Interior
|University of Porto
|ISCTE – University Institute of Lisbon
|Universidade de Aveiro
University of Porto
The University of Porto is the second-largest Portuguese university by the number of enrolled students. It is also known for having one of the most noted research outputs in Portugal. Founded in 1911, it also has more than 30 thousand students enrolled. What’s more is that its acceptance rate stands at more than 50 percent.
University of Lisbon
The University of Lisbon is a public university located in Lisbon, Portugal. The University of Lisbon offers quality education and is recognised globally for the research, innovation and culture of the schools. With almost 50 thousand students enrolled in the university, several postgraduate programs are taught in English.
Catholic University of Portugal
The Catholic University of Portugal is a private university in Lisbon, Portugal. It is an autonomous institute of public universities. All the courses offered by the Catholic University of Portugal are accredited by the National Accreditation A3ES.
There are many courses for international students to pursue higher studies in Portugal. Most international students opt to study masters in Portugal. Here are some of the most popular courses among international students to study in Portugal:
- Masters in Biomedical Engineering
- Masters in Finance
- Masters in Management
- Masters in General Engineering
- Masters in Computer Science
Must Read: Unique Courses to Study in Europe
Let’s have a look at the various sections below that constitute the process of taking admission to universities in Portugal.
To study as an international student in a university in Portugal, you might need to take an entrance exam separately. In case you are an EU citizen, then you have the possibility to replace this test with your final year marks, depending on the approval from the Portugal embassy.
If you are from a country elsewhere, an entrance exam can be scheduled for you in consultation with the Portuguese embassy in your home country.
Now, to take admission to the world of education in Portugal, and to study abroad in the country, there are some language requirements you need to meet. The following are the basic criteria.
Next, the following documents are required while you apply to a university in Portugal.
- The application form of the particular university
- Proof of Success in passing the entrance exam
- Academic Transcripts
- Statement of Purpose/Motivation Letter
- Proof of completion of application fee payment
- Language test results scores like IELTS, TOEFL, etc.
- Updated CV or Resume
- Letter of recommendation
- Copy of your passport
- Submission essays (if asked by the university)
- Copy of student visa
Application Process to Study Abroad in Portugal
One fortunate availability is the presence of help from Leverage Edu to assist you in your application process. You can avail of our services, and we can guide you, step by step, to enrol in a university of your choice.
Here’s an easy 5-step process to complete your application process:
- Call our experts on 1800 572 000 to shortlist your favorite universities and courses.
- Compile all your documents like SOPs, essays, certificates, and LORs and exam scores like IELTS, TOEFL, GRE, GMAT, etc
- Meet all the application deadlines and start the application process for accommodation, students visa, and scholarships/student loans
- For the specific application process for a university, follow the below steps
- Students must visit the official website of the institution.
- Then, click on ‘Apply Now’ or ‘Register Here’
- Students are then required to provide their education history with all the qualifications.
- They must also fill in the details of their employment history and personal statement.
- Once the form has been filled up, students must submit the application form by paying the mentioned fees.
- Make settlements for your health insurance
- Accept the offer letter
- Apply for a student visa for Portugal
- Get your visa approved
- Apply for a residence permit
- Fly to the chosen university
- Below are the documents that are initially required to start the counseling process.
- 10th Marksheet
- 12th Marksheet
- Undergraduate grade sheet
- Resume, if any
Popular Intakes and Application Deadlines for Portugal 2023
First, let’s take a look at the major intake!
For students planning to pursue studies in Portugal, they must be aware of the intakes. Universities in Portugal have two intakes:
|November to February
|April to July
Students must keep themselves updated with announcements regarding intakes to ensure they apply on time.
Also Read: Study Abroad Intakes: All You Need to Know
The university application deadlines generally depend on the university. The general deadlines are mentioned below.
|First Application Deadline
|April to May
|Second Application Deadline
|June to July
|Third Application Deadline
|August to September
Student Visas in Portugal
These are the types of visas if you’re an international student planning to study in Portugal.
|For researchers or students undertaking a course (less than 90 days)
|For researchers or students undertaking a course (more than 90 days)
Cost of Studying in Portugal
Let’s look at how much it costs to study in Portugal for international students in 2021-
Tuition fees vary from university to university. However, on average it ranges from EUR 900 to 6,000 (INR 75,000- INR 1,32,000) per year.
- For Bachelor’s degrees: EUR 550 – 1,050 per year (INR 48,000 – INR 1,32,000)
- For Master’s degrees: EUR 500 – 2,500 per year (INR 44,000 – INR 2,20,000)
Tuition fees are considerably higher at private universities. However, they are still lower when compared to countries like the US, the UK, or Australia. Tuition fees for private universities range around 7,000 EUR/year (INR 6,18,000).
The cost of living in Portugal varies significantly depending on the city. If one lives in the seaside capital of Lisbon or in a tourist hub like the Algarve, the living expenses will be higher than compared to other regions of Portugal. Despite these irregularities in living costs, the overall cost of living is much less in comparison to many other countries in Western Europe.
Student Housing in Portugal
Portugal offers a number of options to international students for housing like university-owned residences, private apartments, and student halls run by private companies. We have mentioned the average expenses for student housing and accommodation options
|Type of Accommodation Average Cost
|University-owned student halls of residence EUR 400 (INR 35,000) per month
|Renting a private room or apartment EUR 300 – 400 (INR 30,000 to 35,000) per month
|Student halls run by international operators From EUR 595 (INR 52,585) per month
A number of scholarships are provided to international students for pursuing studies in Portugal. Public funding for EU and non-EU students is provided by –
- The Foundation for Science and Technology (FCT) -Project-based research grants in the fields of science and technology.
- The Instituto Camoes, which offers scholarships for studies in Portuguese language and culture;
- The Directorate-General of Higher Education (DGES) – Merit-based scholarships for all study programs offered by individual institutions.
Scholarships and grants are usually available for master’s students, however, some funding is available for bachelor’s students. Click here for more scholarships to study in Europe!
Some of the major scope of professional fields in Portugal are given below. These are the most in-demand jobs for international people.
- Project managers
- Mobile test engineers
- Team supervisors
- Sales representatives
- Restaurant Staff
- Customer support agents
- Real estate agents
- Interpreters and translators
- Web developers (backend and frontend)
Yes, Portugal is a relatively affordable and good study destination.
When it comes to studying abroad in Portugal, an undergraduate degree can range from 550 – 1,050 EUR/year (INR 46k to 89k)
Yes, foreigners can study in Portugal. In fact, it’s one of the most attractive destinations in Europe.
This is all that you need to know if you plan to study in Portugal. Planning to study abroad but confused about the application process amidst the ongoing pandemic! Then, contact our experts at Leverage Edu and look at a free session today to resolve all your doubts! Call us immediately at 1800 57 2000 for a free 30-minute counseling session.