Study in UK
Do you know that the best part about the UK education system is that it provides international students… The post Study in UK appeared first on Leverage Edu.
Do you know that the best part about the UK education system is that it provides international students with the flexibility to combine courses and specialisations across varied disciplines? Revered for offering the best education system in the world, pursuing higher studies from the UK opens the door to an array of opportunities. Planning to study in the UK? This blog brings you a detailed guide on studying in the UK, cost, requirements, scholarships, top universities and more!
One of the top reasons to study in the UK is that it houses some of the world’s oldest institutions which are internationally ranked such as The University of Oxford, London School of Economics and Political Science, University of Cambridge, University of East Anglia and Imperial College London, to name a few.
Latest News Updates
- UK government announced that fully vaccinated Indians do not have to quarantine after arriving in the country post-October 11 this year.
- The rule is only applicable to international travellers who are fully vaccinated with Covishield and the other UK-approved vaccinations for coronavirus. Travellers are required to take a test on day 2 for COVID.
- Despite the ongoing pandemic, UK universities are open for the upcoming academic intakes and are actively making pro-student policy changes to allow students to resume face-to-face classes at their respective universities.
- All Indian students planning to study in the UK must be vaccinated with Covishield or other recognised vaccines against COVID-19 in order to physically study at the campus.
- Partially-vaccinated international students are required to quarantine themselves for a period of 14 days before resuming their stay at their university. They must submit to pre-departure, 2 and 8 day.
- The UK government allowed students to study in distance learning mode with immigration permission till they can transition to face-to-face learning.
- From 1 July 2021, International students who have successfully completed an undergraduate or master’s degree will be able to avail 2 years’ post-study work visa in the UK through the new Graduate Route. Students who complete their PhD will be able to stay for three years.
- UK Universities have initiated Covid-19 support services that international students can access, such as airport pick-up services, helplines for students that run 24/7 and facilitating free counselling and mental health support services.
COVID-19 Response in UK
- The UK’s swift response and student-friendly policies allowed thousands of international students to continue their education virtually. With alternative examinations and one-on-one counselling sessions with teachers, students were able to easily access all the benefits of studying virtually at top UK universities.
- UK universities offered mental health support to international students to help cope with the pandemic.
- The UK’s successful and efficient vaccination drives that have vaccinated more than half the population are another reason why the UK is the best possible destination for studying abroad.
Requirements to Study in UK
Here are the major requirements to study in UK which you need to ensure while applying to a UK university:
- Copy of a valid passport
- Scorecard of English proficiency tests like TOEFL/IELTS/C1 Advanced. (Some universities exempt students from this if they meet the set criteria)
- GMAT/GRE for Masters programs
- Academic Transcripts
- Letter of Recommendations (LOR)
- Portfolio (for specific courses)
- A CV (if applicable)
- Statement of Purpose (SOP)
The duration of an undergraduate programme is 3 years and a postgraduate programme is 1 year in UK, which in turn helps students save time and money.
Cost of Studying in UK
Apart from the primary tuition fees, the cost of studying in the UK includes accommodation, Visa, daily expenses, transport, etc. Enlisted are the details pertaining to the expenses which one may incur to study in UK:
- Undergraduate Programs in UK: £8000 to £9000 per year (7,10,000 INR-8,00,000 INR) – up to £30000 (27,00,000 INR)
- Postgraduate Programs in UK: £12000 to £15000 (10,70,000 INR-13,00,000 INR) – up to £35000 (31,00,000 INR).
The cost of studying programs like MBBS, clinical degrees and various engineering branches will be a little more expensive than other countries.
Study in UK for Free!
There are numerous scholarships to study in UK for Indian students. If you want to study in UK for free, here are the top UK scholarships you must explore:
|Chevening Scholarships||August 2020 to November 2020|
|Dr. Manmohan Singh Scholarships||January 2020|
|Hornby Scholarships||Between October to September every year|
|Rhodes Scholarship||Between June to July|
|Commonwealth Scholarship and Fellowship Plan||Between October to November|
|Felix Scholarships||September [every year]|
|Erasmus Mundus Joint Masters Degree Scholarship||October to January|
|Inlaks Scholarships||February to April next year|
|Charles Wallace India Trust Scholarships (CWIT)||–|
|Scotland Saltire Scholarships||–|
Study in UK after 12th
Here are the most popular courses to study in UK for Indian students after 12th:
|Arts & Humanities||Anthropology and Archaeology|
Hospitality and Tourism
|Science (Non-Medical)||Automotive Engineering|
Tuition Fees to Study in UK after 12th
The average tuition fee for undergraduate courses in UK ranges roughly between 6000 EUR to 9000 EUR (roughly 4,92,000-7,38,000 INR) [indicative] but it will majorly depend on which type, of course, you are opting for such as a diploma or full-fledged business degree, medical degree, etc.
Cheapest University in UK
Want to know the cheapest university to study in UK? As per the average annual tuition fees, here are the cheapest universities in UK:
- Staffordshire University: £10,500 [10.75 Lakhs INR]
- University of Chester: £9,250 [9.47 Lakhs INR]
- University of Bath: £9,250 [9.35 Lakhs INR]
- University of Cumbria: £10,500 [10.75 Lakhs INR]
- Leeds Beckett University: £12,000 [12.29 Lakhs INR]
- Teesside University: £11,825 [12.11 Lakhs INR]
- Leeds Trinity University: £11,000 [11.27 Lakhs INR]
- University of Bolton: £11,000 [11.27 Lakhs INR]
- Buckinghamshire New University: £9,500 [9.73 Lakhs INR]
- Coventry University: £11,200 [11.47 Lakhs INR]
- York St John University: £11,000 [11.27 Lakhs INR
Study in UK without IELTS
An astonishing understated fact about the studying in UK is that students can study in the country without IELTS! With the ongoing pandemic, many international universities decided to ease the pressure on international students by either waiving off IELTS or alternative requirements such as English language proof for Class XI and XII or accepting tests like the Duolingo English Test in the lieu of IELTS. Let’s look at some universities that offer CAS letters without IELTS:
- University of Central Lancashire
- University of Greenwich
- Swansea University
- University of Northampton
- University of Plymouth
- Portsmouth University
- Northumbria University
- Brunel University
- Robert Gordon University
Check out our blog on Study in UK without IELTS to know more!
What is a CAS letter?
CAS stands for Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies. CAS is issued by a UK institution when a student is accepted for admission into a programme. The letter is a vital document and must be submitted to the visa office of your country to apply for a new Tier 4 student visa. Many universities issue a CAS letter after the student has submitted a small fee which is deducted later from their annual tuition fees. These fees can be anywhere between 0 to 2000 pounds!
Click here to explore the list of universities issuing CAS letters under £2000 in 2021!
Student Visa in UK
Here are the two main types of UK Student Visas you can choose from to study in UK:
|Tier 4 Student Visa||Short-term Student Visa|
|This is for those who are 16 years of age or above and have enrolled in a course exceeding more than 11 months.||This type of visa is for those students who want to enrol in a short-term course.|
|You will have to collect your Confirmation of Acceptance of Studies (CAS) or letter of acceptance from the institution where you have applied to study.||The duration of such courses doesn’t exceed 11 months.|
Do You Know: The National Health Service (NHS) provides free* medical treatment to international students who are enrolled in programs running for not less than 6 months. But to avail the benefits, one needs to pay an immigration health surcharge during the Visa application. [*Terms and Conditions Apply]
Documents Required for UK Student Visa
- A valid passport (Should have validity for more than 6 months from the date of application of visa)
- Proof of financial stability
- Details of your travel plans and where you are about to reside.
- Health checkup report.
- Keep a blank page on your passport for the visa.
- If you have collected all the documents, recheck and make sure that everything is in English. If not, then you need a certified translator who can translate all of them in English.
You can apply for a student visa online at the official immigration website of the UK.
You will have to sign, submit your application form, book an appointment, pay the application fee and collect the receipt. You will be required to visit the application centre to complete other relevant formalities. It is advised to apply for a visa 3 months prior to the initiation of your course in order to study in the UK.
UK Visa Application Fee
- UK visa application fee for Tier-4 Student Visa: £348 [roughly 28,650 INR]
- Application fee for short-term Student Visa: £97 [roughly 7,990 INR] for a 6-month visa & £186 for an 11-month visa [15,300 INR]
Under the following conditions will you be required to submit a healthcare surcharge fee while completing the application process:
- A citizen of a country outside the European Economic Area (EEA)
- Applying for a visa to study, work or join your family
- Applying to stay for a period of more than 6 months
- Not applying to become a permanent resident of the UK
How to Apply for a Student Visa in the UK?
Now that you know what documents you need as well as the visa that suits your study purposes, let’s discuss the visa application process to study in UK. Below we have detailed the step-by-step guide to apply for a student visa in the UK.
- Choose a Student Visa
- Prepare Your Visa Application
- Get an Appointment at your nearest visa application
- Wait for the Final Decision
Note: Once you have got a visa appointment, you will have to submit a certificate proving that you do not have Tuberculosis (TB) alongside your application.
If your application is successful and is given a green light, then a sticker which is referred to as a vignette will be given to you which you need to keep in your passport. The vignette will comprise of the following elements:
- The type of visa you have granted (like Tier-4 Student Visa)
- The dates by which your visa is valid for (Start and End Date)
- The conditions you must meet while staying in the UK like whether you have “access to public funds”, permit for part-time work or “restricted work”.
Further, you will be required to register your personal detailed with the police department in the UK.
International students who want to study in the UK can work for up to 20 hours/week. However, one can even work full-time during vacations. Further, If you want to work after graduation, you can apply for a UK post-study work visa!
Popular Courses in the UK
In the UK, international students can study every conceivable course and area of study. From conventional courses like MBA, Computer Science, Data Science, Engineering, English, Political Science, Psychology, Architecture, Medicine, Law to unconventional courses like Culinary Arts, Performing Arts and Music! The host of courses offered at UK universities are rich in terms of curriculum, practical knowledge as well as practical training. Students can opt for any programme they like and kickstart their global careers in the royal land.
Student life in UK
Students from all over the world yearn to study and experience the unique student life in the United Kingdom. The royal country offers a rich lifestyle with unique world heritage sites, cheap transportation facilities, incredible food alternatives, recreation facilities and an innovative and technically-advanced cultural life. From visiting classic destinations like Big Ben, National Museums, exploring its evergreen countryside to traveling to nearby European countries, studying in the UK is an enriching experience. The UK government in efforts to ensure a happy student life also allows international students to work part-time during their academic year and full-time during the holidays.
Click here to explore the dynamic student life of UK!
From living on campus to living in student-friendly cities like London, Liverpool, Manchester & Edinburgh. International students in the UK can experience dynamic, opportunity-rich student life. International students have an array of housing options like renting apartments, living in hostels or dormitories. The UK offers its international students a dual experience of living at either a campus-based university or city-based university with world-class facilities and access to cosmopolitan life!
Top Universities 2021- 2022
Now that you are familiar with the basic details pertaining to pursuing higher education in UK, let us take a quick look over some of the most popular universities in the UK.
|Top Universities in the UK||QS World University Rankings 2022||THE World University Rankings 2021|
|University of Oxford||#2||#1|
|University of Cambridge||=3||#2|
|University College London||#8||#4|
|Imperial College London||#7||#3|
|The University of Edinburgh||#16||#6|
|The University of Manchester||=27||#8|
|King’s College London||#35||#7|
|London School of Economics and Political Science||#49||#5|
|University of Bristol||#62||#10|
|University of Warwick||#61||#9|
|Queen Mary University of London||117||110|
|University of Bath||166||201-250|
|University of East Anglia (UEA)||=303||=200|
|University of Essex||439||301-350|
University of Oxford
This collegiate research university has been consistently ranked 1st in THE(Times Higher Education) World University Rankings for 2018, 2019 as well as 2020. At present, the university has around 24,000 students out of which, 11,000 are pursuing undergraduate courses while others are enrolled in an array of postgraduation courses spanning disciplines. When it comes to counting courses, Oxford alone has 350 various degree programs. If you are an Indian student and want to enrol in a degree program at the coveted university then go through our blog on how to get admission in Oxford University from India!
University of Cambridge
Established in 1209, the University of Cambridge is amongst the renowned and esteemed academic institutions in the world. If you are planning to study in UK at Cambridge then you will be pushed beyond your limits and encouraged to explore varied research opportunities in your chosen field. With 31 colleges offering scores of degree and short term courses, the university opens the door to an array of career opportunities. The university is home to more than 100 academic departments spread across six schools offering popular academic programmes like BBA, MBA, BTech, MS, amongst other.
Imperial College London
Another name in the list of leading colleges to study in the UK is the Imperial College London. This university is home to almost 17k students and is revered for its research environment. Apart from the master’s program, the college offers 3 types of doctorate courses namely, PhD, Integrated PhD, and Professional Doctorates in an array of areas. MSc Mechanical Engineering, MRes Advanced Molecular Synthesis, MSc Human and Biological Robotics, MD(Res) Clinical Medicine Research, etc are some of the popular courses offered by this institution.
University of East Anglia
Rooted in 1963 in the UNESCO awarded City of Literature – Norwich, University of East Anglia is an ideal study destination for Indian students. It has fetched the 21st position in The Complete University Guide 2020 in the UK and 192nd rank in the 2020 list of top universities by THE World University Rankings. Ranging from excellent undergraduate, postgraduate, doctoral programmes to short term diploma courses, UEA has a perfect course for every student! It comprises 4 faculties which are further divided into 26 schools as per specialization. The 320-acre university campus houses all the facilities a candidate would require. If you are planning to study at UEA then you must know that popular novelists like Ian McEwan and Kazuo Ishiguro are some of the popular alumni of UEA.
London School of Economics and Political Science
Originally established in 1895, the London School of Economics and Political Science is a public research university situated in Houghton. The Fabian Society members: Beatrice, Webb, Graham Wallas, George Bernard Shaw, and Sidney Webb are some of the respected figures who have helped in the development of this university. Apart from the undergraduate and graduate programs, LSE offers scores of diploma, short term, and executive courses. BSc Actuarial Science, BSc Economic History, MSc Economy, Risk, and Society, MSc Data Science, Executive MSc in Cities, etc are some of the degree courses offered at the university.
University of Bath
The University of Bath is a top-ranked institution in the country. It has consistently been ranked among the top universities of UK. UOB functions as a single-site campus and offers a unique experience of a diverse student community. The university consists of 38 buildings catering to the academic demands of students from across the globe. It is internationally acknowledged for its top tier courses and academic facilities offered by its world-class faculty. The infrastructure of this reputed university is another additional factor that draws international applicants.
Popular Intakes in UK
|Intake||Starting Months||Application Deadlines|
|Fall/ Primary Intake||September||June- July|
Popular Exams to Study in the UK
To study in the UK, students are required to take certain entrance exams specifically for English Language proficiency such as IELTS, TOEFL and PTE . Some programmes at masters level may require students to submit scores of GRE/GMAT.
How can you Apply to a British University?
Just like any university across the globe, there is a set standard of documents and a specific procedure to complete the application procedure followed in UK. Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to complete the admission procedure in order to study in UK:
- Research and find out the right university and course as per your interests. Take help from various overseas education consultants for professional guidance on the same.
- Collect the essentials such as passport copy, CV, academic transcripts, exam scores of IELTS/TOEFL/GMAT/GRE, etc.
- Get your statement of purpose (SOP) ready. It should highlight your educational qualifications, academic achievements, the purpose of pursuing a course, career goals, etc.
- All the UG applications to UK universities are submitted through the Universities and College Admission Service (UCAS) website. A single UCAS application form to study in the UK will give you a chance to apply to 5 universities at once for 5 different courses. For PG courses, candidates directly apply to the universities through online or offline mediums.
- You will have to submit the CAS Confirmation of acceptance letter to apply for the TIER-4 Student Visa.
Be it pursuing an MBA in the UK, or MS in the UK, as an international student, you will have plenty of alternatives in front of you. Needless to say, choosing the right university and completing the application process on time needs efforts.
Grading System in UK Universities
Before you start your academic journey in the UK, let’s look at the distinct evaluation system used by the UK universities:
|Grade||Percentage||Grade Definition||Honours Degree||Foundation Degree|
|A||70% – 100%||Excellent to Outstanding||First||Distinction|
|B||60% – 69%||Good to Very Good||Upper Second (2:1)||Merit|
|C||50% – 59%||Satisfying||Lower Second (2:2)||Pass|
|D||40% – 49%||Sufficient||Third 3||Pass|
|E||30% – 39%||Unsatisfactory||Fail||Fail|
|F||0 – 29%||Unsatisfactory||Fail||Fail|
Most Diverse Universities in UK
The UK is one of the most internationally diverse countries in the world. The country is home to over 120 nationalities which makes studying here a unique and unforgettable experience. Here are some of the most internationally diverse universities in the country according to THE World Rankings 2020-
- Queen Mary University of London
- University of Oxford
- Imperial College of London
- University of Cambridge
- King’s College London
- Univeristy of Bath
- London School of Political Science and Economics
- University of Edinburgh
- University of Warwick
- University of Manchester
- Durham University
Work Permit in UK
With the new work permit in place, International students can stay in the UK for 2 years after graduation and for 3 year after completing their PhD programme. This work permit is due to start on 1 July 2021 and all students coming for the September 2021 intake are eligible for the work permit.
Leverage Edu’s Study in UK Success Stories
Looking for the best study in UK consultant? Well, our team of expert mentors and head coaches at Leverage Edu is here to help you land at your dream university in UK! Here are our Study in UK success stories:
Yes, it is possible for you to study in UK without IELTS! The alternatives to IELTS might include online interviews held by the university or a major in English and high school certification. These might not be applicable for all universities but certain universities do offer this provision. Some of the universities provide this route include the University of East Anglia, University of Bristol, London Southbank University, Brunel University among others.
The universities in the UK are known for providing quality education through their diverse curriculum, modern infrastructure, and academically brilliant faculty. The most popular courses to study in UK are:
1. Natural Sciences
3. Social Sciences
6. Engineering and Technology
8. Media and Communication
With the establishment of the new laws, Indian students will now have the opportunity of obtaining a two-year work permit upon the completion of their degree thus opening up avenues for permanent settlement in the country. There are immense prospects for a lucrative career after you study in UK. So, it is important that you engage effectively with your course and stay on the lookout for good career opportunities!
As an Indian student, you can work part-time while pursuing a degree in the UK. While you study in UK, you can work up to 20 hours a week during the duration of your semester or term. You can also work full time during the duration of your university break. The opportunity of working alongside your degree helps in not only meeting the living expenses but also provides opportunities for exposure and experience!
University of East Anglia located in Norwich is one of the best places to study History in the UK. It is ranked at 192nd position in the list of world universities by THE.
As discussed, with an array of degree programs spanning across disciplines being offered by world-renowned universities, pursuing higher education in the UK will not only help in improving your career skills but will also open the door to innumerable opportunities. Due to the quality of education provided by the institutes in the United Kingdom, the overall tuition fees can be slightly high. However, this can be reduced considerably by the scholarships or aids offered by both the government and universities.
Hence, if you have decided to study in UK then the career prospects are immense. Needless to say, with scores of top-rated universities and courses available in the island nation, you might get confused with the admission process. Click Here to register and take the assistance of experts at Leverage Edu who will help you in completing the application formalities with ease!